Elder Taylor Dearden
South Carolina Columbia Mission
110 Oak Park Drive, Suite B
Irmo, SC 29063

taylor.dearden@myldsmail.net


Monday, April 25, 2016

The Lords Work

So this week was a very rewarding week in the work of the Lord on both sides of the veil!

I was so thrilled to get pictures of Brian Avery's Baptism last week! Made my day! I texted Brian a few minutes before the baptism and it was so exciting to know that day had finally come! 
I'm not sure if he'll read this or not, but I hope he knows how much I love him and his family! I'm so grateful for him allowing me to be apart of his life! 
Here are some pictures from his Baptism!

I received an email from Jason Hirschi last week, he had a really cool experience in the temple that connected here in South Carolina!

Before you read the email, here is some background. 
Robin Foster was a member in the Greenwood ward when I was there 14 months ago. We worked with her to help excavate grave stones in an overgrown cemetery from the late 1800's. Most if not all of those graves were African American graves. She is famous throughout South Carolina, among both members and Nonmembers for her expertise in Family History. 

Sister Foster and me
If I could just have her come to Utah someday and give a fireside of her experiences with doing family History, you would be amazed at the things she has accomplished. 

I got to know Sister Foster and her husband really well, in fact we had Christmas dinner at their home in 2014! 
Anyways, she is such a remarkable lady!

Jason Hirschi is the Son in Law of Kraig and Kim Dearden, Kortnee's Husband. They are living in Chicago right now.


Elder Dearden,

Jason here, how are things going? We have enjoyed reading your letters on the blog each week, crazy to think you are almost done! I had an interesting experience this morning that I wanted to share with you.

I had some time this morning before a work meeting so I decided to go to the temple with a friend from my ward here in Chicago. While we had time to go to the temple, we didn't have enough time to do a session so we decided to do initiatory work instead. When they gave me my names I looked through them and noticed they were all names done by the same person - Robin Foster from Greenwood, South Carolina.

The first thing that came to my mind was you serving in South Carolina. I had forgotten you spent time in Greenwood so I asked your mom and she helped me connect the dots. Thanks to living in the modern age, I Facebook stalked Sister Foster and found out that she was in Chicago today and it was indeed the same Sister Foster you came to know and love in Greenwood. Crazy!

I had to laugh when I realized what a crazy coincidence it was that I would get those names, but as I continue to think about it I am able to see a wonderful lesson learned through this experience - we are all connected in the work of Salvation. What a blessing it is that someone in South Carolina can index names and the deceased individuals are able to receive the blessings of the temple halfway across the country. We are beyond blessed to live in a time where temples are scattered across the world and we can all work together to redeem the dead.

Anyway, I just thought I would share that with you. If you ever speak with Sister Foster tell her thanks for giving me an opportunity to do temple work. If nothing else it served as a great reminder to me of how important the work that goes on in the temple truly is. I hope you enjoy the final months of your mission. Live it up, you will draw from the experiences you have for the rest of your life!

Be safe,

Jason 


Dr. Jerry Ainsworth, a good friend of mine that I met when I was 13 once shared a quote with me, I can't remember where he got this quote but it went something like this.

"Coincidence is God's way of being anonymous"   

Anyways, Ya'll have a great week!

Elder Dearden

No comments:

Post a Comment