Elder Taylor Dearden
South Carolina Columbia Mission
110 Oak Park Drive, Suite B
Irmo, SC 29063

taylor.dearden@myldsmail.net


Monday, November 23, 2015

Deep thoughts from the Deep South.......


This week was a great week. Nothing crazy happened though.

We meet lots of people, not to many of them seem interested though. However Brian is still awesome and came to church again yesterday.

Last pday we went bowling and that was fun. I enjoyed it.

Since I don't have much else to say I figured I'd share some thoughts that I have been having lately.

I was pondering how having a correct understanding of the Character of God motivates us to repent. I mentioned my thoughts on the character of God several weeks ago, the week after General Conference. 
But I have also been pondering what drives me to be a better person and what leads me to do my best. I asked myself the question, "What motivates me to follow God?"
I wrote down 4 things that Motivate me:
- A desire to strengthen my relationship with God. To Grow in Greater Love for God.
- A desire to strengthen my relationships with others. To grow in greater Love for others. 
- A desire for knowledge, understanding, and intelligence.
- A desire for Power and ability.


A desire to strengthen my relationship with God. To Grow in Greater Love for God.
When I "Remember Him" I experience an emotion that seems to fill all my senses. I am always baffled when I realize how much Love Heavenly Father and His Son have for me, I feel inadequate when I realize I don't respond with equal love. This leads my mind and thoughts to desire a greater capacity to love my God. This can be accomplished by keeping his commandments with exactness.

A desire to strengthen my relationships with others. To grow in greater Love for others. 
This is similar to the above thoughts. I am so grateful for all the amazing people that are involved in my life! A similar emotion comes when I remember all my family, extended family, and the eternal friends I have. I have noticed that those who are the most happy, are those who have the best relationships with others. Along with that, those who have the best relationships with others keep the commandments the most. So, in recognizing that... I have a desire to live a better life each day because I know that will bless those around me and ultimately lead to relationships that bring the most happiness.

A desire for knowledge, understanding, and intelligence.
I have become addicted to the sensations and experiences outlined in Alma 32! I'm hooked and I don't think I can break the habit. I love the swelling in the chest and the expanding of the mind. No better way to start feeling good than to read inspired words for the ancient prophets and to have the Holy Ghost reveal truth. I have noticed that the ability to learn from the Holy Ghost is greatly enhanced when I am focused on keeping the commandments.

A desire for Power and ability.
Heavenly Father endows us with power when we keep his commandments.
"When obedience ceases to be an irritant and becomes our quest, in that moment God will endow us with power” - President Benson
Power is ability to do something. It is the strength and energy through which things happen. If we desire to be able to do great things, we must turn to the source of all power. He will give us added strength and ability to do above that which we imagined.

Anyways, there are my thoughts lately. 

I hope ya'll have a great week.

1 comment: