Elder Taylor Dearden
South Carolina Columbia Mission
110 Oak Park Drive, Suite B
Irmo, SC 29063

taylor.dearden@myldsmail.net


Monday, September 7, 2015

Music and Marching

Well Life is still going good!

Yesterday was rather odd, it was the first week that we went without a
baptism at Fort Jackson. However, there is a soldier that is planning
on getting baptized. We are just hoping to have it happen later this
week, when his family comes out for graduation.

So last week was super great because I got to go to one of the
graduation ceremonies (On Thursday) for the soldiers going through
Basic Training. It was really cool, they had a band that sounded
fantastic, I was really impressed with them. My favorite though was
watching the soldiers march in formation for inspection by an officer. (See attached video)
I also took a pic by a tank.

Today I am going to the Fort Jackson Museum and then to the State
House. It should be pretty cool.

Yesterday President Turner came to our sacrament services. It is
always great to see him. I guess because we are in Columbia we see him
a lot. I have realized that I still don't have a picture of me with
him! I need to fix that! I will be going with President Turner to the
Lexington area on the 20th to play the piano solo for that ward. Last
week was really great playing the piano during MLC.

I had an interesting experience, before playing the piece, I prayed
that the Holy Ghost would carry the message of the song to the hearts
of those who heard it. When I played the song I felt as if it wasn't
even me playing. It was as if I was overcome by some warm feeling and
I just listened to what was being played. Afterwards I had lots of
people explain to me that they felt a strong 'calming' fall into the
room when I played.

I had never thought of praying over a musical piece before, but now I
have realized that there is a special power that can accompany music
when we present it to the Lord before we play. I am very grateful for
that experience to feel the power of the Holy Ghost influence the
feelings of the song, 'come, come, ye saints'. I see music from a
different perspective now.

I hope ya'll have a fantastic week!

Elder Dearden







No comments:

Post a Comment